Lila Rae Allred

8/25/1924 ~ 8/21/2014

Pics4Lila Rae Justesen Allred passed away August 21, 2014, just four days before her 90th birthday. Born August 25, 1924, in Spring City, Utah, the daughter of Ernest and Sarah Elizabeth Allred Justesen. She was a faithful member of the LDS Church. She loved horseback riding and music, and she loved reading as much as she loved breathing. She was an eager student, who was double-promoted in elementary school and graduated as valedictorian of her high school class. She went to Snow College on scholarship for one year, then she was offered a job as secretary in the North Sanpete School District Office. Shortly afterward, because of the war and the shortage of teachers, she was asked to teach business classes at North Sanpete High School…she was the same age as many of her students at the time. She also worked for a few years as a secretary at the Columbia Steel smelting plant at Ironton (near Provo), Utah. During this time, she had the chance to take flying lessons, and solo, an accomplishment in which she (and her children and grandchildren) took great delight.
She married Roger Marinus Allred December 27, 1946, in Spring City, Utah; their marriage was later solemnized in the Manti LDS Temple. They lived in Provo and Logan for a couple of years, while Roger completed his teaching degree, then they moved back to Spring City, where they lived for the rest of their lives. Roger was the principal of the Spring City Elementary School, and Lila was appointed Spring City Treasurer. In addition to supporting Roger in all his callings, her church service included being counselor in a stake Primary presidency and a stake Relief Society presidency. But the calling she loved most was teaching the ward Gospel Doctrine class for over 20 years. And she sang in a trio (which she greatly enjoyed) with Mary Holmstead and Ruth Graham, which graced church meetings, civic programs and funerals with their music all through the late ‘60’s and early ‘70’s. Lila had a keen interest in many subjects, especially history and foreign languages. She took night classes at Snow College, to learn Hebrew(!) and Spanish. She and Roger went as often as possible to the Utah Symphony, and other concerts, and the Shakespearean Festival in Cedar City. They made as many opportunities to travel as they could, as well, including to Hawaii, Florida, England and Europe, a Mediterranean cruise, and the Scandinavian countries.
Roger preceded her in death much too soon on May 5, 1998. But their children and grandchildren still believe they got as close to “living happily ever after” as is possible in this life. Her children wish to express their gratitude to her wonderful friends and neighbors, who helped keep her going through her last years. We especially wanted to mention her niece, Donna Poulsen, Paula and Gary Carter, Pam and Rick Stoker, her faithful visiting teachers, Cynthia DeGrey and Kathy Dyches, her nephew and wife, Phil and Ruth Benson, and cousin, Sue Weeks. We’re also grateful to the whole staff at Autumn Park Assisted Living for their kind and compassionate care, and especially to Candice Sanders, for her support and advice to the family during the last few difficult months. Lila is survived by: Her daughters, Margo (Bill) Harpster, Salt Lake City; Leslie Allred, West Bountiful; Julie Ann Allred, Murray; Neola (Brad) Jones, Centerville; her son, Whitney Roger (Tiffany) Allred, Spring City; ten grandchildren. In addition to her parents and husband, she is preceded in death by all her brothers and sisters, Reid Justesen, Merline (Vurl) Morgan, Donald (Evona) Justesen, Clair Justesen, Melba (Jack) Benson, Janice (Sheldon) Justesen, and Robert Justesen.
Funeral services will be Friday, August 29, 11 a.m., at the old Spring City Church, 164 S. Main, Spring City, Utah. The viewing will be Thursday, from 6 to 8 p.m. and Friday, from 9:30 to 10:30 a.m. both at the Historic LDS Spring City church. Interment, Spring City Cemetery. Online condolences at rasmussenmortuary.com

9 Responses to “Lila Rae Allred”

1. Kathleen Johnson says:

Dear Allred family,
    Growing up in Spring City, I was privileged to know and learn from both of your parents. Having your father as 5/6 grade teacher and as my bishop. When I saw that your mother had passed away, I thought instantly of her teaching the Gospel Doctrine class. Such an special teacher. I also remember so well the singing trio. The last time I saw your mother was at my Aunt Donna Larsen’s funeral and she was so glad to see us cause there were not many people that she knew since Spring City had gotten a lot of new faces. She was a very elect lady. My condolences at her passing. You can be thankful for the gospel and the knowledge that your parents are together again and that you also will be united with them also.

Love and sympathy,
    Kathleen Larsen Johnson

2. Connie Ames says:

To Lila’s Family:

This must be such a happy day for Lila to be reunited with her sweetheart, but such a hard time for all of her loved ones and friends. Parting is truly a sweet sorrow. We know what is ahead for her, but she will leave a big empty space in our lives.

It was a privilege to work with Lila in the Stake Relief Society. If there was anyone lovely, kind, smart, pretty, fun, and faithful it was Lila. She was a great example to me, and I will always treasure her friendship.

I extend my love and sympathy to each one of her family.
    God be with you till you meet again.
    Connie Ames

3. Shirley Raiford says:

My sincere condolences to you, Julie, and to your family. It is always difficult to lose a loved one from this mortal life, but hopefully the wonderful memories that you cherish of your mother will sustain you throughout the remaining years.

Your mother sounds like a wonderful person. You inherited her good qualities, Julie. She accomplished so much during her lifetime, and now is continuing her eternal progression.

I send my love and sympathy at this time,

Shirley Raiford

4. Cathy Nordgren says:

Dear Julie,

I was so sorry to hear of the passing of your dear mother. During our trip to Europe several years ago, you talked about her in such a loving way. She is lucky to have you for her daughter, and from what I have heard, your mother is a lovely lady that I know you will miss dearly. I am sorry I did not know her.

I enjoyed your stories about Spring City and growing up down there. Because of you, my husband and I go to the Spring City Heritage Days every other year. I always think of you and your family.

With sympathy and frienship always,

Cathy Nordgren

5. Elouise Lamb says:

To Julie and all of your family–I am so sorry to hear about your mother’s passing. You are in my thoughts and prayers. I know you will miss her dearly. She lived a long, wonderful life and was a loving, talented, dedicated mother. May you and your family be blessed with strength, peace, and comfort over the coming weeks and months.

Love you! Elouise Lamb

6. Don & Dixie Harris says:

Lila was an amazing woman. I remember volunteering at the bookmobile when my children were young. She was one of the few adults from the community who checked out books, and she took a huge stack every two weeks to read! I was one of the lucky ones to be part of her Gospel Doctrine class. She made an impact on my life. I will miss her.
    Dixie & Don Harris

7. Lila was a sweet and kind hearted woman. She was loved by all and was always willing to be of strength to those in need. She was well read and a wonderful teacher. What joy and happiness she is feeling to join with loved ones in a place that passeth all understanding.

Michael and Jolene Watson

8. Ryan White says:

Prayers go to the Allred Family. I enjoyed the time I got to know Lila Allred. My brother and I mowed her lawn for years, we enjoyed chatting with her and hearing her stories. If she was home she would always bring out a cold refreshing treat (ice cream bar, popsicle, water or juice). She was always friendly, kind and loving towards us.

9. Gary and Katie Parnell says:

We were so sorry to hear of Lila’s passing. Jenny forwarded us on the announcement. (We have been in South Africa for a month, serving as senior missionaries in Lesotho.) We both have many memories of Lila – paying our city utility bills to her in the old city hall, attending her Gospel Doctrine classes, listening to her and Mary and Ruth sing, visiting with her at her home, watching her on her daily walks. We will miss her steady, kind influence. Parnells