Floyd Ned Jensen

10/16/1939 ~ 5/2/2017

JensenFloydNedCropFloyd Ned Jensen, retired Sanpete County Justice Court Judge, 1939-2017. A life time resident of Ephraim, Utah. Son of Floyd and Irma Jensen, a graduate of Moroni High School, Snow College, and Weber State University. Ned was a member of the Utah National Guard from 1963 to 1984, rising to the rank of Sergeant. He served an LDS mission in Berlin, Germany from 1959 to 1961, where he learned German fluently. He taught music at Manti High School from 1966 to 1976, was a police officer for Ephraim City for eight years, and worked for KMTI Radio from 1976 to 1990. As an accomplished musician he played the trumpet for the “Revelers Band” and the “Snow College Band”. He served as a judge for Ephraim and Manti cities, and in 1991 he became a County Justice Court Judge. Ned loved the outdoors. A patriot, he loved serving his country.
Ned was preceded in death by his father, mother, and step-mother Melba J. Jensen. He is survived by his brothers Ned (Kristin) Ericksen, Steven (Vikki) Jensen; sisters Deanna Ericksen, Ruth Hall, Patti (Steve) Garcia, and extended family. A private family service was held in his honor. Online condolence rasmussenmortuary.com

8 Responses to “Floyd Ned Jensen”

1. Lew Haslam says:

Ned was a great mentor and friend. I had not seen him for several years but thought of him every time I was in Sanpete. We had some great times when I was in high school.
    RIP Ned.

2. Don Findlay says:

Ned Jensen was my band teacher in high school (Manti High School) He was also an advocate. He gave me many opportunities to use my music skills while in high school. He was an inspiration to me as I served 35 years myself as a music educator, prior to retirement in 2014. I have fond feelings for Mr. Jensen, who inspired us as a model musician.

3. Ned and I were great friends and classmates during elementary, high school and Snow College.We shared many good times in Moroni fishing, bow hunting, spearing carp and dragging main. The Saturday Night dances were amazing, especially when Ned was playing. Ned assisted me and several classmates in organizing our class reunions,(our class of ’57 was the last graduating class of Moroni High). Sweet memories made special by you Ned.

4. Robert and Rae Ann Tibbs says:

Ned was a wonderful teacher and friend. We were both given so many musical opportunities thanks to Ned and his support of us. Who can forget the last year of Ned’s teaching when we were fortunate to be seniors in his choirs, band, and music theory classes. Ned inspired us to continue on in our musical training, and we will forever be grateful for what he taught us. He always expected us to do our best. Ned spoke at Robert’s mission farewell which meant a lot to Robert. What sweet memories we will always have of our time with Ned at Manti High School.

5. Bill and Evelyn Strode says:

Ned was a great mentor and friend. I had band, drama and radio from him in High School. Later worked with him as Ephraim City deputies.
    Later on he married Evelyn and I. It meant a lot to us.
    He was a caring, fun person to know and we will miss him.

6. ross blackham says:

Many great memories with Ned when he was Judge of the Sanpete County Justice Court. Not just legal memories. Many long visits in his office just talking. A good friend and I will miss him. RIP Ned.

7. Jerry Dahl says:

I sent this to the Manti Messenger but they said it was too long to print.

How does one begin to share the importance of an influential teacher, friend and mentor? Someone who helped shape the future for a naïve young man from a rural community in Utah back before cell phones, internet and the instant entertainment and communication we have in our world today.

With the death of Ned Jensen this past week, we all lost someone who helped develop the talents and character of many people in this region. Ned was a fantastic educator in Ephraim and Manti, not only in music, but he organized a small radio station for students interested in pursuing a broadcasting career. With the procurement of a small transmitter, he was able to open up shop with KMHS radio and spread music and the news within a five-mile radius! This planted a seed for Doug Barton who left his job at KSL in Salt Lake and moved back to Manti to start KMTI. Ned was a part of that endeavor and now that station can be heard from the Salt Lake Valley all the way to St. George.

As an educator, Ned taught chorus and band at Ephraim Middle School and Manti High. Being a part of that with him, we always knew we were winners and yes, we did win every contest we were part of under his directorship. When he decided he had achieved the best results he could with students he decided to leave teaching. It was a disappointment for many and even the late Ruth Anderson of Manti circulated a petition, collecting signatures asking him to keep on.

With his linguistic abilities after serving an LDS mission in northern Germany, many students were able to gain a rudimentary level of expertise in the German language and use this skill later on in life. I certainly did! Singers including not only myself but others seeking music degrees were adept at singing German Lieder and art songs. He attended operas in Berlin and Hamburg such as Wagner’s Tannhäuser, The Meistersingers of Nuremburg, and The Flying Dutchman. He recalled the magnificent sets of those performances and planted a seed in my mind to be a Wagnerian Heldentenor. I was able to pursue that goal and had a modicum of success in opera houses in the US and Europe. But it was Ned who I thank the most for introducing me to that style of music. He also had visited King Ludwig’s fairytale castle in southern Bavaria where frescoes and murals of scenes from Wagner’s operas were abundant. Ned showed us his missionary slides depicting those scenes. His first hand experience opened a door for me that I am always thankful for.

Ned was also in Berlin that eventful night of November 13, 1961 when citizens woke up one morning to find that the Russian sector of Berlin was surrounded by a twelve foot tall brick wall built during the night. This symbol of communism and the cold war lasted for over thirty years. Ned never believed it would come down and neither did I, until President Ronald Reagan told Mr. Gorbachev “to take down this wall.” I still have in my possession an original brick I chiseled out of the wall on the western side while being watched by an East German guard in a tower wondering what the heck I was doing.

Ever one to make Sanpete county a better place to live he became Judge Jensen. Those who stood before him, even his close friends were instructed to address him as ‘Your Honor’. He meted out justice fairly and honestly and while not always making friends with those who appeared before his bench, he followed the law.

When I began teaching music in schools, it was Ned who I called up frequently, asking him what to do when I was baffled or afraid to take the next step. In recent years as he fought diabetes and the effects it causes on the body he gave it a bold try to keep going, but as one who deals with it as well, some days you wonder just how much more you can take. He will be missed by those whom he mentored and those who loved him, but I am hoping in this short treatise that we can take a few moments to remember all he has done for us.
    Jerry Dahl Ephraim

8. Tammy Olsen says:

My favorite class at MHS was German taught by Ned Jensen. Even after high school Ned always had time to stop and talk with me. He always had kind words of praise and encourage.
    He will be missed.