Roxey Lou Washburn

9/8/1926 ~ 10/21/2018

WashburnRoxeyCropRoxey Lou Washburn, age 92, passed away peacefully at home on Oct 21, 2018. She was born in Mt. Pleasant, September 8, 1926 to Edgar Lyman and Talula Johanna Nelson. She attended Hamilton Elementary school in Mt. Pleasant and graduated from North Sanpete High School. She attended Brigham Young University and taught 3rd grade at Hamilton Elementary 1 year. She married Ralph Washburn August 6, 1948. They were sealed in the Manti LDS Temple June 1, 2004. Together they raised four sons and two daughters. She was a homemaker first and worked at Mt. Pleasant Elementary school lunch. She was a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints serving in many positions including primary teacher, Young Woman’s President, and Relief Society President. She loved her service as an Ordinance Worker in the Manti Temple for over 10 years. She had a strong testimony of the Savior and devoted her life to serving Him through service to others including her family, community and her own mother for many years. She was a pillar in the community serving many years on the Mt. Pleasant Pioneer Historical Association and Relic Hall committees. She was Grand Marshal of the 4th of July Parade, active in the Daughters of Utah Pioneer’s and Liocos Club. She had a great love for learning, enjoyed quilting, crocheting, the outdoors, and traveling. She was a rock to her family, church, and community. She was the driving force of annual family reunions and holiday get togethers. She is survived by sons, Allen (Rebecca) Mt. Pleasant; Kevin (Shelley) Wales; Gordon (Shauneen) Tucson AZ and daughters, Debra (Michael) DeMille Kiowa CO; Staci (Peter) Jones Minersville; 24 grandchildren and 39 grand grandchildren; brother Lyman (Maxine) Nelson; and sisters Dolma Christensen and Charlotte Thornton. She was preceded in death by her parents; husband Ralph; son Andrew Keith Washburn; great-granddaughter Lily; brothers Newel and Robert (Bob); and sisters Dale Carter, Virginia Myers, and Shirley Jensen. Services will be held on Friday, October 26, 2018 at 11:00 am at the Mt. Pleasant North Stake Center of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (461 North 300 West) with visitation on Thursday, October 25, 2018 from 6 – 7 pm at Rasmussen Mortuary (96 North 100 West Mt. Pleasant). Interment will be at the Wales Cemetery, Wales, Utah. In lieu of flowers donations to the Mt. Pleasant Museum/Relic House 146 S State, Mount Pleasant, UT 84647. Online condolence at www.rasmussenmortuary.com

13 Responses to “Roxey Lou Washburn”

1. Sherry Whitman Stontreet says:

I am so sorry for your loss Kevin. My prayers and hugs go out to you and your family at this time.

2. Jan/Larry Myers says:

Our thoughts and prayers are with Roxey’s family and friends. Love you….
    Jan/Larry Myers

3. Shauneen Washburn says:

My sweet mom-in-law. For 92 years she liked to think she wreaked a little havoc around her. Her signature picture for me is where she was waving her walking stick from the back seat of a ski-doo, or quad! She loved to send April Fool’s cards. Many of my friends and family got to meet her and enjoy her ready laughter and big hugs. She radiated warmth, love, and acceptance. It did not matter if you had known her a minute or a lifetime, she treated you as family. I will ever be grateful for her steady example and wise counsel. She embraced life as vigorously as she embraced you, and her adventurous spirit led her on a mystery tour abroad, even in her late 80’s. She loved to travel and take photographs. Her memories. She created so many of those for us, too. We will miss you, Mom, but your memory lives on in each of us you loved so generously, and who love you. God speed, until we meet again.

4. Connie Ames says:

Roxie was an AMAZING WOMAN. Her service and deeds and family are a great TRIBUTE to her life which was “well lived”. I admired her, and am glad that our paths crossed in this life. I send my love and sympathy to all of her family. What a grand reunion she must be having this day!!!!

5. She was the best Aunt ever. She had a funny giggle and was very kind to everyone. John loved spending time there in the few summers he did. Especially enjoyed the area in Wales where he slept in the earthen basement. Loved her cooking and his cousins. She’s probably playing baseball with all her loved ones that passed before..love to all John and Jeanie Washburn.

6. Jim and Cyndi Myers says:

We loved our time with Roxey. We will miss her caring personality, sense of humor and unmistakable chuckle. We send our love and sympathy to all of her family.

7. Sally Newton says:

Dear Cousins -

Sending my love and prayers to you all – wish I could be with you to celebrate your dear mom’s life. She had such an adventuring spirit while also being stalwart, constant and a vey strong, hard working woman. I have always loved her happy chuckle and the beautiful family home she maintained. I am grateful for the legacy that all our “Nelson Aunts” have given us of love for family, love for education, love for fun and enjoying the beauty of the world we live in.
    I’m sure she is enjoying a happy reunion with all those that have gone before, and will continue to be busy guiding, protecting and loving you all from the other side.

Much love, Sally

8. Tom and Kay Tuttle says:

Kevin and Shelley:
    We were sorry to hear of the passing of your dear mother. We wish we could be there to help you celebrate her life. We recently moved to St George. If you ever want to escape the cold and visit St George, you are welcome in our home. Tom recalls how supportive your mother was when his mom passed away. We wanted to share our love with you at this difficult time. Lots of love, Kay and Tom (Tuttle)

9. Clair and Diane Brothersen says:

We were sorry to hear of the passing of Roxey. Many good memories of being in her home visiting Allen. Some great memories. She always had a smile and was always so supportive of those around her. What a wonderful person. Sorry we didn’t know about her passing in time to get to the funetal.

10. Vene W Robison says:

I am so very sorry to hear about the loss of your Mom, Allen. I remember her to be a very loving and caring person. My heart and prayers are with you and your family’s at this time.

11. Jamie and Kirsty Choffin and fchildren says:

( I am the sister of Gordon’s wife, Shauneen) We will all remember Gramma Roxey for her warm smile, twinkling eyes, and VERY VIGOROUS hugs! She always gave the impression you were JUST who she was wanting to see! And she hugged family and friends and strangers alike! We also will never forget her vigor for life, walking stick ramming up into the air with enthusiasm, and her unconditional non-judgemental attitude! I never heard Gramma Roxey criticize anyone!
    gramma Roxey said to me once, when discussing raising children, “ Your kids will make mistakes, then they will fix them, and then they will make some more mistakes! All you have to do is love them! “
    Gramma Roxey, thank you for your legacy of love and kindness.

12. Nadene Shelley says:

I am so sorry about Roxey’s passing. I worked at school lunch with her over 8 years. We had a great time working together. I saw her a year ago and visited with her for a few minutes. She will be missed by all.

13. Duane Hansen says:

To the Washburn Kids: Your Mom Roxey was an angel and a good, kind friend to many, including my Grandma Sent Carlson, my Mom (Barbara Carson Hansen) and Sister Claudia who lived down the block.

When I left Sanpete, in my heart I knew Roxie would be checking in Mom & Gram, greeting Mom at church with her smile and say something funny or encouraging and taking something to eat to Gram at home.

She was a pillar of the 4th Ward along with Alice Hafen and Ester Christensen and the Seely Sisters. She was my primary teacher, ?Sunday school teacher, our visiting teacher, and always in the middle of some service project helping it move along. I remember watching her take care of her Mom Sis. Talula for years helping her to church, in/out of the car/house.

When I’d visit Mt. Pleasant, she’d go out of her way to drive down to the house Mom’s house or see me at church. She’d save special books for me on Mt. Pleasant history. She’d always ask how my family was back in Texas and NC and she’d promise to “keep an eye your Mom”. She was a fitting example of “love conquers all”. She was always so positive and friendly.

I’m sure she’ll being talking with my Mom (they were school classmates and life long friends) and my family members now and organizing or teaching or something good…she won’t miss a beat…what an angel!