Herta L. Strate

4/12/1926 ~ 1/9/2019

StrateHertaCropWe lost a stalwart example of love and sacrifice in our family on January 9, 2019 Herta L. Strate passed away in the early morning hours at the home of her daughter in Payson, Utah, surrounded by family. She was so loved, over 130 people visited her in the days preceding her death. She loved everyone unconditionally and they loved her in return.
She married her eternal sweetheart on January 5, 1951 in the Salt Lake Temple. In their later years they served as ordinance workers in the Manti Temple for 21 years.
Herta was born to Otto Paul Ludwig and Hedwig Frieda Arlt on April 12, 1926 in Lieppe, Hoyersverda, Germany. At the age of four her family immigrated to America, settling in the Salt Lake Valley. Life was hard for this immigrant family as they struggled to make ends meet. They lived in several different places for her father’s work. As a German family here in Utah during WWII they weren’t always treated very well. Mom decided at a very young, tender age that she was always going to show love to all and she always did.
Herta had a strong faith in her Savior, Jesus Christ and she was very active in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. She was president of the Primary, Young Women Organization and Relief Society. She also served as a teacher in all of these organizations She taught in Primary for many years, co-teaching some of that time with her husband, Kent. She touched many lives for good. She also served as a visiting teacher most of her married life. When she could no longer visit her sisters in person she mailed something to them each month sending her last visiting teaching message in December 2018.
She was very supportive of her children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren. She attended the temple with a great-grandchild in November 2018. She so loved her family. They were everything to her.
She welcomed into her home with open arms to Navajo children on the Laminite Placement program run by the LDS Church for several years. Roger spent three years and his sister, Juanita spent eight years with the Strate family while they were going to school.
Herta is survived by her children: Herta Jean (Dan) Nielson and David Kent (Janene) Strate of Ephraim, MehlRee (Lyle) Snell, Orem, LuDean (Darrell) White, Payson, Ruth Ann (Hal) Williams, Spring City,When Lisa married her daughter’s husband, Alan, she also unconditionally loved Lisa and her daughter as Lisa added another daughter and unconditionally loved and raised Ellen’s six children, her Laminite children, Roger (Becky) Morgan, Crownpoint, New Mexico and Juanita Morgan, Gallup, New Mexico.
With her Laminite family added Herta has 43 grandchildren and 97 great-grandchildren.
She was proceeded in death by her husband, Kent and her daughter, Ellen, her parents, siblings Else Haws, Martin Ludwig, Herbert Ludwig and Otto Paul Ludwig.
Funeral services will be held on Saturday, January 19, 2019 at 11:00 a.m. There will be a viewing 9:30- 10:30 a.m. Saturday morning and 6:00 -8:00 p.m Friday evening. The funeral and viewings will be held in the Spring City Chapel on 164 S. Main in Spring City, Utah. Interment in the Spring City Cemetery. Online condolence rasmussenmortuary.com

8 Responses to “Herta L. Strate”

1. Jerry Dahl says:

LuDean and Darrell,
    Herta was always such a kind and friendly woman in all my meetings with her. She had an infectious smile and positive attitude that over the years I have reflected on. What a celebration of a great life it will be for all of you.
    Best wishes, Jerry Dahl

2. Gary and Katie Parnell says:

Elizabeth sent us word of Herta’s passing. We are so sorry. I always tell people that when I grow up I want to be Herta Strate. She added so much to so many. We are in Lesotho, Southern Africa right now. If we could magically transport, we would be there with your family today. Know that we are there in spirit. May God bless all of you, as I know he has in the past to have such a special mother/grandmother/great-grandmother.

3. Karyn Angell says:

So sorry to learn of Herta’s passing. She was the perfect example of a loving and caring wife, mother and grandmother. She raised a wonderful family. Her love and kindness will be sorly missed. Thoughts and prayers are with the family at this difficult time.

Sincerely,
    Karyn (Christensen-Felix) Angell

4. Kerry & Carma Steck says:

Our hearts go out to each of you. It is never easy to let your Mom go, even when it is time. But memories of her, and lessons from her will be with you daily.

5. Roger Strate says:

Deepest condolences to the family of Kent and Herta. You had wonderful, sweet, caring parents and they were a pleasure to be around and have the opportunity to associate with. Your dad Kent was a first cousin and it has been an honor to know them both.

6. Byron Lund says:

The passing of Aunt Herta is the end of an era for me. She was a “trace person” that I can follow through every stage of my life right up until the present. On the very edge of my memory, I can see Uncle Kent in his uniform in the southeast main bedroom of the old farmhouse. “Shortly” after, Kent took some of his family to meet a very special person to him, and eventually to us as well, at Kresses in Salt Lake City. The night at the Avalon Ballroom in Sandy on a very cold night was special to me, as Kent & Herta had their wedding reception. As a six-year-old, this was the first wedding I had experienced, and I totally enjoyed sitting at a table and getting about seven servings of cake, ice cream, and punch. As a fourteen-year-old, I distinctly remember losing at trying to be a babysitter to the six Strate children, with three kids latched around each of my legs. As a seventeen-year-old, I became a “member” of their family, staying with them as I hauled thousands of bales of hay and thinned beets during the summer of 1960. And then, over the next several decades, I experienced dinners and family reunions at the Strate ranch. Aunt Herta has been so excepting of my wife Tammy and welcomed her into the family as well. Over the past several decades, as we’ve visited with Aunt Herta, I have been so impressed with her prodigious memory and the vast store of memorabilia she has kept for her immediate and extended family. She had cards and knickknacks of me that I cannot believe had been preserved. My memory of Aunt Herta will always be dominated by her immense caring, her very evident capacity for love, and her unbridled positive approach to people and life in general. Let’s all honor her legacy by trying to display these qualities in ourselves and towards others. With much love, Byron Lund

7. We have many fond childhood memories of times spent in Spring City with your family. You took us to our first rodeo.

We will always be grateful for the love shown by your mother to our grandmother.

May the Lord bring you peace and comfort at this time.

With love, Susan and Faye.

8. Otto & Margaret Stoss says:

May the most precious memories of a beautiful life bring comfort and peace.
    We cherish our memories of time spent in Spring City.
    With much love and caring,
    Otto, Margaret, Rita, Ronnie and family