Gene Garner

9/19/1934 ~ 2/18/2019

GarnerEugene001CropGarnerEugeneCropHenry Eugene GARNER, Age 84, PASSED AWAY ON February 18, 2019 of Natural Causes. Gene was born on September 19, 1934 in Ogden, Utah. Son of Rulon Ballantyne and Lureene Whittaker Garner. He was preceded in death by his parents, his bother Rulon Grant and his Brother Norman James Garner. He is survived by his wife Regina and brother Blaine Whittaker Garner (Pat) of Sunset, Utah and Mary Ann Curry of Salt Lake City, Utah and many adoring nieces and nephews.

Gene graduated from East High School and the University of Utah. He was proud that he was the first in his family to graduate from College. He was also proud of the fact that he worked through college to finance his education. While at the U he was elected president of American Marketing (ASSM, Student chapter). Was on the U of U golf team for 3 years and rifle team for 2 years.

Gene was an excellent Fly Fisherman and mastered the art of the “Doublehaul”.

In 1961 he became an agent for American Credit and Indemnity Company of New York. His territory included the seven Intermountain States. A sales leader for many years he retired thirty five years later as Sales Vice President.

After graduation he met and married Regina (Gina) Wolf on December 28, 1963. They shared fishing and traveling all throughout the European Countries plus many exotic places such as Egypt, Turkey, Morocco, and Machu Picchu.

Gene was fun to be with, yet a modest man. His many nephews and
nieces thought he was their “Dapper Uncle”. He never bragged of his deeds. I personally know that his quick action and cool head saved several lives.

On one occasion, while fishing on the Snake River, their boat capsized. Two friends would have drowned if Gene hadn’t been there to pluck them both from the river.

Another time, during dinner with a friend in a Denver Restaurant, he noticed his friend choking on a piece of meat, and quickly performed the Heimlich maneuver, saving yet another life.

Arriving home with friends one night from the Symphony Ball, they realized no one had their house keys. Our friend, Ray McCarty, climbed a ladder to force open a second story window, but lost his
balance, and fell backward. Gene thinking fast, intercepted him, flipping him around in midair, enabling Ray to land safely on his feet. The only injury was Gene’s nose, which bore a scar for the rest of his life.

While flying from Lima, Peru to Cuscus, the plane had to make several landings to wait for better weather. Each time the plane took off or landed, a native Peruvian would experience seizures. Gene was first to notice, and take fast action to stop the man from swallowing his tongue.

While walking to his office in Salt Lake, a man collapsed suddenly on the cross walk in front of Gene. And, of course, Gene was there to provide immediate aid.

Most recently, a woman fell out of her wheelchair when it tipped over in a parking lot, and guess who was right there to pick her up.

Gene even saved a hapless squirrel once, during a picnic lunch when he noticed that it had gotten itself wedged into a tight hole. He pulled the frightened critter free and actually resuscitated it.

Gene learned his work ethic while growing up. His brother Blaine and Gene took care of two thousand chickens. Blaine made sure that young Gene did his share.

Gene was equally at home at the four Michelin star Madame Point Restaurant in Lyon, France, the roulette table in Monaco or helping his Farmer friend with his every day chores.

That is the guy who was Gene. That is the same Gene I have loved for 56 years.
Gina

Funeral service will be held Friday February 22, 2019 at 11:00 a.m. in the Cedar Creek Ward Chapel (900 N Main Street). Viewing will be held Thursday from 6:00 – 8:00 p.m. and Friday one hour prior to service both at the church. In lieu of flowers please donate to your favorite charity. Interment in the Spring City Cemetery. Online condolence at rasmussenmortuary.com

8 Responses to “Gene Garner”

1. Monica G says:

My condolences to the family . I know this is a very difficult time for you right now and no words can express how sorry I am for your loss. Please remember that God can comfort us. So draw close to God in prayer so He can draw close to you to comfort you and to give you that peace of God that surpasses all understanding Philippians 4:6;7).May Jehovah God grant you guidance, strength at this difficult time.

2. David Ames says:

Gina – I am deeply sorry about the Gene’s passing. I truly appreciate the friendship I’ve had with you and Gene for many years now. We loved and looked forward to his visits where we might discuss his most recent European trip, his garden, his participation in the Tractor parade in Spring City on Pioneer Days, or any number of other topics. Gene always had a smile on his face along with a great attitude. When my father passed away in 2014, I had a nice visit with Gene and he provided words of comfort I will never forget. Please know my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I will always feel blessed to have had a relationship with Gene.

3. Ann & Paul Larsen says:

Dear Gina,
    Paul and I are so sad to hear of Gene’s passing. We have fond memories of him. He was such a beautiful man in every way. We have always admired how adventurous the two of you were together and how well you complimented each other. You both created an amazing home and such a history of full living. Our condolences.
    Much love, Ann & Paul Larsen

4. Stan & Gwendolyn Soper says:

O! How this saddens our hearts, Gina. We’re so sorry for your loss. We are terribly fond of you and Gene. God bless you in every unexpected moment when you miss him especially much–now and in the future. We love you.
    Warmly, Stan and Gwen

5. Stan Soper says:

I see Gwen already posted. Just want to send my condolences too. Sorry I can’t come to Gene’s funeral. I’m on business in Asia, otherwise I’d be there. Reading his obituary makes me wish I’d known him better. He inspires me to be a better man.
    Regards, Stan

6. Nedra Allred says:

Gina: Although it has been a while, I still think fondly of visiting with Gene and you at your home and around town. My memories of him are of his kindness and always asking how I was doing every time I met him, no matter the place. I am so sorry for your loss and know you will greatly
    him, as you seemed to me to be the best of friends, and truly cherished each other I pray that you will be blessed beyond measure at this difficult time in your life. Sincerely, Nedra

7. Roger Watson says:

Gina,

Our thoughts are with you at this time. I always enjoyed my visit with Gene when he would come and swim at the Snow College Activity Center. He was always great to everyone there that he associates with. The Snow students that were lucky enough to meet him always appreciated his wisdom and time he gave them. I am also very appreciative of how he helped my dad Dennis on the farm and how he was a great friend to my dad. He was also someone that I could speak to with ease after my dad died. The thing I learned most from him was taking a interest in people and getting to know them. He was a great man with the ability to light up a room and make you feel like a million bucks no matter the type of day you were having. Thank you for sharing with us your amazing husband and for all that he taught each person he meet..

8. Zina Bennion says:

Gina, I’m heartbroken to hear about Gene’s passing and I’m deeply sorry for your loss. He was such a kind and generous person. He seemed to carry sunshine in his pocket and whoever he was around felt blessed by his optimism, humor and kindness. I will always remember visiting him in the hospital, which was a small thing to do, but you would have thought I had taken him to the moon. He always made me feel so special and I will remember him with great fondness.
    Sending you much love during this difficult time.
    xo,