Lloyd S. Pendleton

8/23/1940 ~ 3/3/2019

PendletonLloydCropLloyd Sharp Pendleton, 78, who started as a cowboy in the dusty Utah desert, and later was known as the tireless “Energizer Bunny” champion of the downtrodden, died at home March 3, 2019 after a short but intense battle with cancer. Lloyd’s life reflected his beliefs; one person can make a difference, serving others is a privilege, and all people are his brothers and sisters.

After serving in the LDS Eastern States Mission, Lloyd decided to pursue an education at BYU graduating with a BA and MBA. His love for numbers took him into finance at the Ford Motor Company and his love of people then took him to work in the LDS church’s welfare system where he helped implement and expand Humanitarian Services and was also a loaned executive to assist various non-profit organizations around Utah.

In Lloyd’s encore career he became the Director of Utah’s Homeless Task Force. He was known as an ardent supporter for the housing first model for the chronically homeless and spoke around the nation encouraging others to adopt this revolutionary model. Lloyd loved mentoring others and encouraged everyone to become their best selves. He devoted his life to the Church, loved teaching gospel doctrine, learning about Christ and tried to follow His example. We are sure wherever Lloyd is now, he has strapped on his running shoes and is out surveying the new landscape.

He is survived by his wife of 52 years, Mary Beth, and two daughters: Sherri Pendleton and Camille Pendleton (Don Wright) and four grandchildren, Brother Dick Pendleton and Sister Bonnie (Terry) Dorton. His parents W. Oral and Isabelle S. Pendleton, and brother Dean Pendleton preceded him in death.

His memorial service is Saturday, March 30th at 11am in the 9th Ward Chapel, 585 East Center Street, Bountiful, UT. Lloyd is interred in Fairview’s cemetery. In lieu of flowers, please donate your time or funds to local non-profits or to The Road Home, Utah Food Bank, or the Utah Non-Profit Housing Corporation in Lloyd’s name.

23 Responses to “Lloyd S. Pendleton”

1. Sheryl Featherstone says:

I worked for Lloyd for almost 10 years for the State of Utah. He taught me so much more than anyone I worked for. He was a good man in every way. I shall always remember him and all the meetings we had to help the homeless. He was an amazing humanitarian.

2. Lark Cyr says:

Lloyd and his wife Mary Beth have made an indelible impression upon me when I first met them 2 years ago. Lloyd and another family stayed at my house in Prescott Arizona. He was intelligent and delightful to visit with. He will be missed!

3. Eliot Brinton says:

Dear Mary Beth,
    What a great loss with Lloyd’s passing! He was such a kind and great man, and a dear cousin!
    We mourn with you in your sadness and we will miss him greatly.

love,
    Eliot Ashby and Bethany Jane Reed Brinton

4. Judy and Keith Price says:

Dear Mary Beth and Family,
    Lloyd was a wonderful cousin. We express our sympathy and love to you and the family. We pray you will receive the comfort you need. May God be with you and bless you.
    Love,
    Judy and Keith Price

5. Arda and Ian Shields says:

Dear Mary Beth and family,
    Lloyd was always so kind and thoughtful. We are grateful we got one last visit. Know that you are remembered in our prayers and loved at this challenging time of separation. Sending a hug for you all.
    Love,
    Arda and Ian

6. Patrick Reese says:

Mary Beth and family.

Kathy and I are serving a mission in Korea. We are saddened to hear of Lloyd’s passing. Too young and always healthy. We regret we cannot be there but have you in our prayers.

Love the Reese’s

7. Larry & Sarah Johnson says:

We also truely miss Lloyd and all did to help all in his path to be better each day like the Saviour, who he truely followed. He cleared the path to make it easier for us to follow and not get lost in getting back to Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ.

8. Warren Hatch says:

Lloyd was a wonderful boss and mentor in our years together at the Humanitarian Center.

9. Nan Roman says:

Lloyd was a leader in the battle to end homelessness, in Utah and nationally. So many people who would have been on the street will be home tonight because of him. Lloyd was an inspiration and I thank his family for sharing him with us over the years.

10. Allen and Lynn Kulicke says:

Lloyd was a very compassionate man. I worked with him on the Bountiful stake high council and his insight on how to help others was truly amazing. Our love and prayers are with you Mary Beth and your family.

11. Lynn & Maxine Droge says:

We are so grateful for ALL Lloyd did for us!!! Mary Beth, we are so thankful, for your and his fine example! We loved the Arbon family too (long time neighbors & Church ward ties with the Droges).

12. Rachel Smith says:

Lloyd was a great man and did so much good for others. He had a loving kind heart and always wore a smile. I’m so very sorry about his passing and that I can’t be there today to honor him. I pray for your peace and comfort during this difficult time. He was amazing and will be missed. Much love to you all. Rachel

13. Anonymous says:

I am so thankful to have know Lloyd. I learned a great deal from him as we had various opportunities to discuss the wonderful work he did with the homeless population of Salt Lake City. I especially appreciate what he taught me about not prejudging so many of the less fortunate individuals with whom he later came in contact. He was one who was practiced ministering professionally as well as personally. May Mary Beth and her family have comfort and remember the wonderful person Lloyd is.

Ed Mayer

14. Pauline Zvonkovic says:

Lloyd was one of the kindness, giving souls I have ever met. It was an honor to work with him and he became a dear friend. He brought passion and energy to address homelessness and his efforts brought stability and safety to those who had so little. His legacy can be seen throughout Utah and he leaves us richer for all he gave us. When he retired I gave him a Superman tie. He was a true hero and I will miss him.

15. Melody Barr says:

I met Lloyd through the work of fighting homelessness. We quickly grew fond of each other and I would say, “any friend of Lloyd is a friend of mine.” There was never a moment he was willing to teach. I just heard the news and my heart and love go out to those he loved and leaves behind.

16. National Alliance to End Homelessness says:

From a National Email, March 19, 2019: In Memory of Lloyd Pendleton

It was with great sadness that the Alliance learned of the passing of Lloyd Pendleton, former Director of the Homeless Task Force for the State of Utah.

Lloyd was a tireless leader in the battle to end homelessness, in Utah and nationally. Under his leadership, Utah’s chronic homelessness rate was reduced 91%. Though his work with the provider community, in the media, and on the speaker circuit (including many memorable sessions at Alliance events), Lloyd emerged as one of the nation’s foremost advocates for a Housing First approach.

We offer our deepest sympathies to Lloyd’s family and loved ones. As we consider his legacy, we take comfort in knowing that because of his work, so many people who would otherwise be homeless will spend tonight in housing. Lloyd was an inspiration to us all, and he will be deeply missed.

17. Keith Davey says:

I first met Lloyd in the late 1970s, when he met with me monthly to provide leadership training in my church calling. The principles and leadership practices he taught then have been fundamental through my life and experiences, and in my teaching others.

I reconnected with him in 2017 when he accepted an invitation to speak to the county and community leaders in Northern Virginia who are working to reduce homelessness. The visits we had together to homeless shelters and transitional housing providers were instructive and inspirational. The speeches he gave were motivational to influencers and decision makers. The few days he spent at our home were delightful, fun, uplifting, and memorable.

I am grateful for my intersections with Lloyd at these times; his influence in my life is profound and lasting.

Mary Beth — my sincere love, condolences, and prayers are with you and your family.

18. Elizabeth Buehler says:

I had the opportunity to collaborate with Lloyd when I worked with Salt Lake City’s homeless services. He is someone we can all aspire to be. He followed up his compassion and belief that housing first works with hard numbers on why it was the pragmatic approach. His leadership will be missed.

19. Lance Fromm says:

Lloyd was a significant influence in my life. He went about doing good. He was kind, Christ like and made others feel love and caring. He was blessed with gifts, seemingly angelic, that he maximized for the benefit of others, esp the poor and downtrodden. He was a teacher and a friend and I was fortunate to have spent quality time with him. Thus far in my journey I have yet to meet anyone harness divine attributes for the welfare of others as he did.

20. So very sorry to hear about Lloyd’s passing. He was so very generous with his time with us in Orange County, CA, helping to educate the providers, cities and public about the issue of our homeless brothers and sisters. He left this world too soon, but he definitely made it a better place for both those in need, and those serving their community. He will be missed. Condolences to the Pendleton family and all those people whose lives were touched by Lloyd. I am a better person for knowing him.

21. Sheryl Allen says:

Dear Mary Beth and family:
    Lloyd was a remarkable man!. I got to know him when I served in the Utah House of Representatives, and he reported to my committee on his successes in developing and assisting with programs to help the homeless. His vision and achievements in this area were outstanding. He had a keen understanding of the problems, the vision to see outcomes that would assist, and the organizational ability to put it all together and make it happen. He made such a difference here in Utah. I think the results of his improvements to this difficult problem are numerous. Lloyd earned my admiration and gratitude. He earned the admiration and gratitude of many others.
    I send my deep condolences to all of his family and particularly to his wife, a friend of mine from Bountiful High School. I was fortunate to know this wonderful man. For that I am grateful.

22. We rented a home from Lloyd in Fairview 2010-2014. Lloyd was always so kind to us,not just a good land lord but a good friend. I’m so sorry for your loss!

23. Jennifer, Azusa Pacific University Nursing Student says:

I did not know Lloyd personally but I really wish I had. He has truly inspired me. I am currently completing a paper and I hope I can serve him justice by highlighting all the work he has done for the homeless. I am just learning of his passing. I offer my deepest condolences to his family and friends. Thank you for all you have done Lloyd, the earth has lost a true hero.