Reed Forest Christensen

6/1/1938 ~ 5/27/2019

ChristensenReedCoupleCropOur loving husband, father, and grandfather, Reed Forest Christensen, 80, passed away May 27, 2019 at his home in Moroni, Utah after a valiant battle with cancer. He was born June 1, 1938 to Forest Franklin and Virginia Ruesch Christensen and had a wonderful childhood in Moroni, growing up with good friends. He married his eternal companion, Myrla Eliason, in the Logan LDS temple on August 21, 1963. They later welcomed two children, nine grandchildren, and four great-grandchildren to their family.
Reed was an active member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In his youth he received the Eagle Scout award and faithfully served in the Gulf States Mission. Throughout his life, he enjoyed many other callings, including serving as bishop in the Ephraim YSA Stake and an ordinance worker in the Manti temple.
He valued education and graduated from Moroni High School and Snow College. He went on to receive a degree in agricultural economics from Utah State University and later graduated from the Pacific Coast Banking School in Seattle, Washington. He started his career in the banking industry, working for First Security Bank in Monroe, Nephi, and Moroni. After an early retirement from banking, Reed went to work doing what he truly loved: farming. He learned the art of hard work at an early age from his father and worked with him raising cattle, sheep, and turkeys. He loved animals and always had a dog at his side.
Reed was actively involved in community affairs. He served in the Lion’s Club, Kiwanis Club, the Juab County Hospital board, on the Juab County Chamber of Commerce, and the Moroni City Council.
More than anything, Reed loved to be with his family, whether at home, in the mountains, at the farm, or on vacation. Together they built a beautiful cabin and took numerous trips as a family. As dear to him as family, were classmates, Nephi friends, and lifelong chums. He cherished their association.
He is survived by his wife of fifty-five years, Myrla, children Marilee (Chris) Larsen, Michael (Celeste) Christensen, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, and sisters Arlene (Terry) Johansen, and Jeannine (Larry) Hansen. He is preceded in death by his parents and parents-in-law.
The family would like to give a special thanks to family, friends, and associates who have shown their love and concern during this difficult time, all the health care professionals who have aided in Reed’s care, and Rasmussen Mortuary for their compassionate service.
Funeral services will be held Tuesday June 4, 2019 at 11:00 a.m. at the Moroni Stake Center. Friends may call Monday from 6-8 p.m. and Tuesday from 9:00-10:30 at the stake center prior to the services. Internment will be at the Moroni City Cemetery. Online condolence rasmussenmortury.com

12 Responses to “Reed Forest Christensen”

1. Eileen Howe says:

I am so very sorry to hear about Reed passing away. I knew him from coming into ZIons Bank in Manti and he was always so kind and friendly. I also many times have been greeted by him upon entering the temple. I am so sorry for you loss.

2. jay lamb says:

he was as tuff as he was good a good guy to me

3. Terry Johansen says:

Reed was a great brother-in-law…great uncle to our boys and a good example to all…may he RIP…Our love to his wife Myrla…she is the best….

4. Holly Griffin says:

Uncle Reed was an amazing person. I will never forget coming to the farm to see all the animals. The many summer nights we came to sleep over. When I attended Snow he and Myrla were there for me when ever I needed. He was a great uncle and will be missed. I am sure the reunion with his mom and dad was amazing. RIP Reed. We love you.

5. Ches Blackham says:

I was sorry to hear of Reed’s passing. I have know him since his dad was my assistant scout master. May God comfort you in this time of need.

6. Richard Lamb says:

I am sorry to hear of Reed’s passing. He was a great friend to my parents, Morgan and Rula. I know he will be greatly missed by his many family members and friends. May you all be comforted in your time of need.

7. Dale Reed Symes says:

I remember meeting my cousin while staying with my Aunt Effie and Uncle Lloyd Blackham. Effie was pleased to update us on Reed and his achievements every time we met. By Reed’s obituary I’d say she did a good job. Myria, though I have never met you, I hope you and your family will continue to feel Reed’s ministering effect as he works beyond the veil for you and your loved ones. May those feelings be frequent and comforting.

By the way….do you know where Reed got his name? My folks gave me the middle name of Reed. I pestered my Mom about it and never got a serious answer.

8. Gerald Naylor says:

Dear Myrla
    Sorry to hear about Reed. He was a good friend and one of the very good men I knew. Our thoughts and prayers are with you at this difficult time.

9. Jay & Julie Nielsen says:

We are so sorry about your loss. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

10. Joyce Memmott says:

Dear Myrla,
    I was so sorry to hear about Reed’s passing. Life is never the same, when that empty chair is at the table. I would love to come see you if I could.
    Love, Joyce Memmott

11. Nelson & Lucy Jones says:

Dearest Myrla, We were shocked and saddened to run across Reed’s obituary in The Times News we got yesterday. Our hearts go out to you and your family in lieu of this great loss, and so close to Father’s Day, to boot! What a good man Reed was, and we feel bad that that merciless illness took his life and made him suffer for so long. Know that our hearts, thoughts, and prayers are with you all at this difficult time. May you find comfort through precious memories of your dear one, and peace through the Savior, who is the only true source of that. We moved to St. George on September 28th and are loving it here. It was primarily due to Nelson’s continuing health decline, but it has been a blessing for me, too, cutting back my responsibilities to keep up with, inside and out. I miss our singing group, Myrla, and have such fond memories of the fun time in my life. Our deepest condolences for your loss and best wishes in the life change ahead for you. You’re a tower of strength, so we know, with the Lord’s help, you will be fine in time. May the Lord bless and keep you. Love always, Nelson & Lucy

12. Jeff and Pat Robertson says:

We were sorry to learn of Reeds passing. He was a lot of fun, always teasing Jeff the way he talked with his hands. What a wonderful friend he was to Kayle. We send our love and deepest condolences.