Larry Stewart

7/19/1928 ~ 6/25/2019

Best King Cowb oyCropLarry Stewart passed away peacefully June 25, 2019 at the age of 90 in Kearns, Utah. He was born July 19, 1928 in Milburn, Utah to Lyman and Rebecca Garlick Stewart, youngest of 7 children. He grew up working alongside his parents and siblings on their farm in Milburn. He served in the Occupation Army in Japan following World War II. After returning home, he married Rhea Anderson and took a job as the farm herdsman at the Snow College Experimental farm in Ephraim, Utah and at the same time began his college education. He eventually earned a Doctorate in Science and Math. He taught elementary school in Moroni, Utah and later science education at Southern Utah State University, but his heart always went back to the farm in Milburn. In 1974, after his parents passed away, he bought out his siblings and moved back to the farm. He raised Angus cows and grew the best alfalfa hay in the Sanpete valley. He was named Sanpete county King Cowboy in 2012. His ashes were scattered on Milburn Hill on his farm. The family would like to thank the staff at Summit Senior Living and Inspiration Hospice care who were so kind to him. He is survived by his wife, four children, Leslie (Paul) Peay, Cliff (Leslie) Stewart, Mark (Lola) Stewart, Becky (Tom) Leek, 16 grandchildren, 48 great grandchildren and 2 great great grandchildren.

14 Responses to “Larry Stewart”

1. Jody Christensen (Coates) says:

I have such fond memories of him! Always a story and a hug, I will miss him a lot. Rest in peace my friend.

2. Gae C Furniss says:

He taught me at Moroni Elementary. Best teacher ever.

3. Tammy Cox says:

He taught me in Moroni also. He was one of my favorite teachers. He was a great friend! We will miss him.

4. Mary L Ryan says:

Larry was the best neighbor anyone could have. We enjoyed that for ten years in Milburn. He will be missed.
    Nick and Mary Ryan now of Orem.

5. Kay Johansen says:

Dear Rhea
    I am so sorry for your loss. He sounds like a pretty great man.
    My prayers are for you and your family and hope you feel comforted.

6. Sandra Swasey says:

Larry was the last born native-son-of-Milburn still living in Milburn—he will be missed. Condolences to Rhea and family

7. Bryan & Ruth Ann Shelley says:

Rhea and kids,
    We were so surprised at the passing of our dear friend Larry.
    He always was so friendly and had a hug for me.
    He always has to me to stop and visit and make us feel
    like we were his family. Love to you and your family.

8. Anonymous says:

Dear Rhea,

Larry was such a gem. We will greatly miss him and discussing with him the future of agriculture in Sanpete. I loved our associations. Our prayers are with you and your family.

David and Dianne Blackham

9. Kathleen Johnson says:

Dear Rhea,sending love and sympathy. I have some great memories of Larry. I remember him when I was a freshman at Snow College and also some family reunions at the Milburn farm. Was great to learn things I didn’t know about him reading his obituary.
    Love, Kathleen Larsen Johnson

10. We are so sorry to hear of Larry’s passing. I remember Larry, Rhea and their family growing up in Fairview. We have a lot of fond memories. You are in our thoughts and prayers. Love Kay and Cindy Larsen

11. Bobbe says:

He was outstanding!

12. Newell and zella Christensen says:

Dear Rhea and family,
    We were sorry to read about Larry.
    We’re glad he is no longer suffering and can’t imagine how hard it was for him to have to leave the farm. We send our deepest sympathy and love.

13. Cameron Hermansen says:

Larry always had a joke to tell!! Loved that guy!! When Larry came around Herm’s, he always kept us
    Laughing. I remember he came to Provo to my wedding reception. That meant a lot to me. One of my favorite people, He will be missed!

14. Curt and Maureen Lund says:

Mark,Leslie and family,
    I was sadden to read this. Larry always reminded me of such a “gentleman”. And Mark is truly following in his footsteps.I pray that God will wrap His arms around you and give you the comfort you need. So thankful that we will again be with them someday.All our love to you!