Clifford Roy Birrell

3/3/1935 ~ 9/28/2019

BirrellCliffordEphraim UT- Clifford Roy Birrell 85 was born on March 3rd 1935 in Provo, UT to Roy M. and Thelma Blanche Phelps Birrell and passed away September 28, 2019 in Mount Pleasant, UT peacefully of natural causes. Clifford Roy Birrell was a beloved husband, father and grandfather and is survived by his children, Jeffrey(Leiann), Melissa (Mike), Douglas (Melissa) and Kara (Jeff) and several grandchildren and great grandchildren that all loved him dearly. Cliff was born in Provo, UT and raised in Twin Falls, ID. He worked in the family business, Birrell Bottling Company where he delivered product through Idaho and Utah. He served an LDS mission to Germany in 1953-1955. He married his beautiful wife Shirley Rae Gibson in 1959. He received his Bachelor of Art Degree at Brigham Young University (1960) and shortly thereafter moved to Torrance California earned a masters degree at UCLA in 1972 and taught in the public school system for over 30 years. In 1980 Cliff and Shirley moved their family to Ephraim Utah. He took great pride and joy in his community, serving as city councilman and in 2006 was voted mayor. Cliff also was very active in the lds church where he had many trusted callings which included bishop which he treasured deeply. Cliff’s greatest joys were spending time with his family, teaching drama and being a part of the community. Cliff will be greatly missed by everyone who knew him. Preceded in death by his wife Shirley Birrell, Daughter Dana and son Mark; parents; siblings, David and Patricia. Funeral service October 8, 2019 at 12:00 noon in the Ephraim LDS Stake Center 400 E Center St. Viewings Monday Oct 7th from 6-8 and Tuesday Oct 8th from 10:00-11:30 a.m. both at the Ephraim Stake Center. Interment in the Ephraim Park Cemetery.

9 Responses to “Clifford Roy Birrell”

1. Cameron Hermansen says:

Cliff was a great man!! Known him all my life. He was bishop when I was called on mission. Good to my parents later in life. He will be missed.

2. David Parrish says:

Cliff was a great man who I enjoyed serving with as city councilman when he was mayor. I also knew him in church callings which he always served valiantly. He was a good man who’s honestly and integrity influenced me to try harder and be better.
    Dave Parrish

3. I will sure miss this wonderful man! He was my Speech and Drama teacher at Manti High School and put on some fantastic shows! When I moved back to this area after being married and having 6 kids, he was my Bishop and I grew to love him even more! When my father unexpectedly passed away, he was so sweet and attentive to my mother and I. My kids grew to love and admire him SO much! Never was there a man with a bigger heart than Cliff Birrell. He was always reaching out to serve and help others! He was a truly great Mayor also! Sure loved him!

4. Kriss & John Bailey says:

Dear Family it is with deepest sympathy we learn of the passing of Cliff.

5. Michael Frischknecht says:

Cliff is a great man and I feel honored to have known him. I am grateful for all the service he has given to others and the community. I enjoyed my conversations with him, especially since he could always make me smile or laugh. He has truly influenced my life for the better. We will miss him. Our thoughts and prayers are with the family at this time.

6. Marlene Allen says:

Cliff was a special man leaving a multitude of wonderful memories for his family and friends. Sending love, prayers and comfort to his family at this time of loss.

7. Mike Sharpe says:

WE would like to extend to you our heart felt condolences. May the Lord comfort your family.

8. Helen Hirst says:

Cliff Birrell is a wonderful person, who made the world better. He made people laugh and he inspired people to be better. What a joy and light he was, in the world. Such a great mind, such a great heart. He loved people and had a way of bring joy into the lives of others. What a wonderful impact he had, on so many people. He will be missed. Sending my condolences to his family. You will be in our thoughts and prayers.

9. Suzanne Dean says:

Cliff was a wonderful friend to the Sanpete Messenger and to me personally. I’m out of the country for one month, or I certainly would have been at the funderal.
    I remember covering his first campaign for mayor. There had been some questionable dealings in the incumbent city government. His slogan was, “If you mess up, ‘fess up.” I loved that.
    He was so effective in summarizing the case at hand in city council meetings and showing leadership as to what the council should do.
    Frequently, when the newspaper ran a story about someone he felt deserved recognition, or when we won an award, he walked into the office with a big box of donuts to commend us.
    Loved talking to him and felt his warmth, honesty and genuine concern whenever I did. My condolences to the family.
    Suzanne Dean